EXPLOREMY LIBRARY
Home & Garden
Veranda

Veranda

May/Jun 2020

VERANDA is a forum for the very best in living well. Always gracious, and never pretentious, we keep readers abreast of the finest in design, decorating, luxury travel, and more, inspiring them with beauty and elegance. VERANDA is both an ideas showcase and a deeply pleasurable escape, a place where homes feel as good as they look.

Country:
United States
Language:
English
Publisher:
Hearst
Read More
BUY ISSUE
$10.10(Incl. tax)
SUBSCRIBE
$28.89(Incl. tax)
6 Issues

in this issue

3 min.
editor’s letter

“Be faithful to your own taste because nothing you really like is ever out of style.” DESIGNER BILLY BALDWIN’S charge must have rippled through the recent auctions of decorator Mario Buatta’s personal collection ❶. Their wild successes—beginning with Sotheby’s, which garnered more than 2.5 times the high-dollar estimates for almost 1,000 lots sold in January, followed by the Hudson, NY–based gallery Stair’s sales in March and April—indicate that an ardent appreciation for antique furniture, radiant color, and beautiful objects is alive and well and reaches far beyond the design community. “Of all the bidders, 46 percent were new buyers for Sotheby’s, and half of the other 54 percent had never bid in a furniture sale before,” says Dennis Harrington, head of Sotheby’s English and European furniture department. The fervor is not…

1 min.
summer revivals

HOTEL CALIFORNIA Pink and sage stripes on Santa Barbara Designs’s new decadent double-canopy umbrella channel the sun-drenched glamour of a legendary landmark. THE FIND • A striped pool umbrella inspired by the Beverly Hills Hotel MEET THE MAKERS • Los Angeles natives James Sheftel and Mark Sufrin of Santa Barbara Designs, which began building its American umbrella empire in 1981. “Everything, right down to the hardware, is made in this country,” says Sheftel. THE BACKSTORY • “We both grew up close to the hotel, and it was always this very glamorous landmark—an icon built more than 100 years ago. The pink-and-green palette brings an instant connection, one that we hope urges people to relax a little, to channel a sense of fun.” MAKE IT YOURS • Double Decker Beverly Hills umbrella, to the trade; santabarbaradesigns.com.…

1 min.
masters of their muses

CARPET Bunny Mellon’s Painted Floors The geometrics the iconic gardener favored underfoot return, now with peak versatility. Long enchanted by Mellon’s painted patterns, designer Caroline Gidiere adapted them to handwoven wool kelim carpets for King’s House Rugs. “Bunny borrowed classic patterns from great halls, castles, and estates of Europe and Scandinavia but employed them in a softer, often pastel palette,” she says. TILE The American Bandana “Tilework is a cultural emblem that represents a country’s aesthetic,” says New York designer Sasha Bikoff, a sentiment that fueled her recent stone-tile introduction with New Ravenna, in which she dubs the image of the bandana the quintessential American textile pattern. Amid a familiar riot of paisleys, imperfect grout lines mimic creases in the well-worn cloth, clinching the prints’ ultra-relaxed sensibility. FABRIC The Hudson Valley’s Bucolic Heritage Think of it as extending…

1 min.
off the clock

FABRIC AND SCROLLING ACANTHUS WALLPAPER, PAMELA COOK/STUDIO D.…

1 min.
a place in the sun

FOUR SEASONS COURTESY OF FOUR SEASONS RESORT LOS CABOS AT COSTA PALMAS; HOTEL BARRIÈRE CARL GUSTAF SAINT-BARTHÉLEMY COURTESY OF GILLES & BOISSIER; CAPRI PALACE COURTESY OF CAPRI PALACE JUMEIRAH; TOWELS, BRIAN WOODCOCK.…

2 min.
eternal sunshine

MODEL, HEATHER HAHN/WOMEN 360; HAIR STYLING BY LUCA BLANDI/ABTP; MAKEUP STYLING BY MARKPHONG TRAM/ABTP; MAKEUP COURTESY OF LAURA MERCIER AND FRESH BEAUTY; MANICURE BY TATYANA MOLOT/ABTP. WALLIS SIMPSON, GEORGES GARCIN/CAMERA PRESS/REDUX; MARJORIE MERRIWEATHER POST, JOHN RAWLINGS/CONDÉ NAST VIA GETTY IMAGES; ELIZABETH TAYLOR, GETTY IMAGES; LYNN WYATT, SLIM AARONS/GETTY IMAGES; CAROLINA HERRERA AND DORIS DUKE, HORST P. HORST/CONDÉ NAST VIA GETTY IMAGES; JACQUELINE KENNEDY ONASSIS, BETTMANN ARCHIVE/GETTY IMAGES.…