EXPLOREMY LIBRARY
Celebrity & Gossip
Chat

Chat 14-May-2020

Published by TI Media Limited Chat is the most outrageous, inspiring, emotional real life title around. Packed with astonishing true stories, big prize puzzles and loads more, it's your unmissable women's weekly. Whether it's tear-jerking tales of triumph over tragedy, the most heart-warming pictures or the best of bonkers Britain, all human life is here. Beyond the rollercoaster ride of true stories, Chat is also jam-packed full of your favourite puzzles with big cash prizes, the canniest bargain shopping features, health advice you can trust, readers' tips, the latest telly news and loads more.

United Kingdom
Language:
English
Publisher:
TI-Media
Frequency:
Weekly
Read More
SPECIAL: Save 40% on your subscription!
BUY ISSUE
£0.70
SUBSCRIBE
£40£24
50 Issues

in this issue

5 min.
enemies within

Waking up with a jolt, bleary-eyed and my head throbbing, I screamed. It was summer 1994 and my fiancé Kevin, then 25, was standing over me, beating me. I leapt out of bed but he grabbed me, throwing me against the wardrobe. My nose cracked, blood poured everywhere. Fleeing the room, I quickly grabbed a coat and ran to my parents’. ‘He’s not the man I thought he was,’ I sobbed. I’d been with Kevin since 1989. At first, he’d been a romantic. I could picture our happy future unfolding ahead of us. But, not long after we moved in together, Kevin became distrustful. He refused to let me have my own bank account, and said that my friends were no good for me. If I went anywhere, he’d check the car’s mileage. ‘Who were you seeing?’ he’d yell…

1 min.
just genius

A dairy good idea When softening butter in the microwave, place kitchen roll in the dish. This absorbs any runny butter and prevents spatters. Josephine Crookes, Dronfield Hair of the dog Use a rubber glove to remove dog hairs from the carpet. They come off a treat. Luke Harden, Rhuthin Got it nailed! I wanted a small, compact pot or other container for storing nail tacks. Turns out a Tic-Tac box was the perfect size! Lucy Hodson, Wirral Pot luck When stirring a pot, clip a clothes peg on to the handle of your wooden spoon and place it over the edge of the pan to prevent the spoon from falling in. Amelie Barnes, St Asaph Sole searching I could feel the sole of my boots poking through the liner so I cut some soles out of an old mouse mat. It worked…

4 min.
the wedding’s off!

Slowly sifting through a rail of white dresses in the bridal shop, I pulled one out. Trying it on, I let out a sigh. ‘It’ll do,’ I shrugged to the shop assistant. It was the end of 2014 and my wedding to John, then 32, was weeks away. We’d be tying the knot on Valentine’s Day 2015. But the truth was, I wasn’t looking forward to the so-called ‘happiest day of my life’. Had no butterflies about saying ‘I do’. No excitement about the speeches. Not even a tiny bit bothered about the first dance. Fact was, choosing a wedding cake and now my dress felt like a chore. John and I met in a nightclub in 2013. We went on our first date a week later and saw each other every day after that. A whirlwind romance, we moved in together…

2 min.
the biggie

WIN £1,001 Puzzle 5 What connects singer Paul McCartney and actor Kate Winslet? Solve the crossword, then read the shaded squares for the prize puzzle answer. ACROSS 1 Arm joint (5) 4 __ Moore, actress who starred in Ghost (4) 6 Inspector Morse actor (4,4) 13 Fret, worry (7) 14 Small mammal with grey fur and white stripes (7) 15 Broader (5) 16 Football match (4) 17 Thin (6) 18 Cold symptom (6) 20 Uncommon (4) 21 Cinema worker (5) 22 Advance warning (6) 25 Australian island (8) 28 Citrus fruit (6) 30 Evenly or fairly balanced (5) 32 Plant that produces soothing juice (4,4) 34 Casualty (6) 35 Reflection of sound (4) 38 Work hard (6) 39 Thin porridge (5) 40 Without pigment (6) 43 Finding __, sequel to the film Finding Nemo (4) 44 Tropical bird (6) 45 County in which Truro is (8) 48 Situated inside (5) 49 Young cat (6) 51 Compliant (8) 54 River that runs…

4 min.
wiped out

As a teenager, Ronald Lee Haskell was known as a joker. Friends at his high school voted him the class clown at their end-of-school prom. Leaving in 1999, Ronald found a job working as a parcel delivery driver. And soon after, he met Melannie Lyon. Both from tight-knit Mormon families, Ronald and Melannie seemed a match made in heaven. In March 2002, the pair married in Orange County, California. They went on to have four children together. But it wasn’t long before Ronald, the former class clown, started showing his true colours. In June 2008, Ronald Haskell allegedly dragged his wife out of bed by her hair, hitting her on the side of her head in front of their children. Escaping the marriage Ronald was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, simple assault, and committing an…

1 min.
guilty

The jury rejected an insanity defence–where the defendant admits the action but asserts a lack of culpability based on mental illness. And last September, Ronald Lee Haskell, 39, was found guilty of capital murder. The jury took four hours to deliberate between life in prison without parole, or a death sentence. After a unanimous decision, Haskell was sentenced to death by lethal injection. ‘I never imagined that my family would pay such a high price for mine and my children’s freedom,’ his ex-wife Melannie Lyon said at the hearing. Just moments after receiving the death sentence, Ronald Haskell locked eyes with the single survivor of his devastating shooting spree. Cassidy Stay, whose whole family was massacred in front of her, told Haskell, ‘I hope that when you die, you will get the punishment you deserve…