Finished size: 71¼×81⅞"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
❏ 1¾ yards each white and gray prints (A units)
❏ 18×21" piece (fat quarter) each chartreuse and fuchsia prints (B and D units)
❏ 2⅛ yards navy print (B–E units)
❏ 1¾ yards light blue print (C units)
❏ ½ yard red print (E units)
❏ ⅔ yard teal print (binding)
❏ 5 yards backing fabric
❏ 80×90" batting
FABRICS are from the Decostitch Elements and Icon Elements collections by Art Gallery Fabrics (artgalleryfabrics.com).
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each white and gray print, cut:
■ 15—12" squares
From each chartreuse and fuchsia print, cut:
■ 1—12" square
From navy print, cut:
■ 17—12" squares
From light blue print, cut:
■ 13—12" squares
From red print, cut:
■ 2—12" squares
From teal print, cut:
■ 8—2½×42" binding strips
Measurements include ¼" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Use a pencil to mark two diagonal lines in an X on wrong side of each white print, chartreuse print, fuchsia print, light blue print, and red print 12" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Layer a marked white print square atop a gray print 12" square. Sew together, stitching ¼" on each side of drawn lines (Diagram 1).
3) Referring to Diagram 2, cut layered 12" squares horizontally and vertically through the center into four 6" squares. Then cut each 6" square on its diagonal line to make eight triangles. Press open one triangle to make a white-and-gray Unit A (Diagram 3); press open remaining triangles to make eight A units total. Using the 45° angle line on an acrylic ruler, trim each unit to 5½" square including seam allowances (see “Sharp Points,” above).
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 120 A units total.
5) Referring to Diagram 4, repeat steps 2 and 3 using marked chartreuse print square and a navy print 12" square to make eight chartreuse-and-navy B units total.
6) Referring to Diagram 4, repeat steps 2 and 3 using marked light blue print squares and 13 navy print 12" squares to make 104 light-blue-and-navy C units total.
7) Referring to Diagram 4, repeat steps 2 and 3 using marked fuchsia print square and a navy print 12" square to make eight fuchsia-and-navy D units total.
8) Referring to Diagram 4, repeat steps 2 and 3 using marked red print squares and remaining navy print 12" squares to make 16 red-and-navy E units total (you will use 12).
ASSEMBLE QUILT TOP
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out A–E units in 22 diagonal rows, centering each row on the row below and noting rotation of units.
2) Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams open. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
3) Referring to Trimming Diagram, measure and trim ¼" from center of units on left- and right-hand edges. Measure and trim ¼" from point of first full row of units at top and bottom edges.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. (For details, see Finishing, page 100.)
2) Quilt as desired. An AGF Studio quilter machine-quilted intersecting horizontal curved lines across the quilt top.
3) Bind with teal print binding strips. (For details, see Binding, page 102.)