Travel & Outdoor
Go! Drive & Camp

Go! Drive & Camp Go! Drive and Camp_Camping Guide

A 132-page lifestyle magazine for campers, caravan and 4x4 enthusiasts and adventure travellers.

South Africa
Media 24 Ltd
Read More
R 252
6 Issues

in this issue

2 min.
keep it handy

When we published the WegSleep Kampgids for the first time in 2012, we knew it would hit the spot with campers and caravanners. It sold like hot cakes and it even won us a prestigious Pica award. It was a no-brainer then to also make it available in English a short while later. Last year we published a revised version of the Kampgids, and again it proved to be very popular. And with the recent launch of go! Drive & Camp, we thought it would only be fitting to once again give our English readers this handy and reworked guide to camping and caravanning. The lion’s share of the information you hold in your hands is new and updated. We’re also focussing on some caravanning issues that has been in the spotlight…

2 min.
1 a weighty matter

As with everything in life, camping requires some admin that you need to get done before starting on your journey. Fortunately, it’s not higher grade stuff – but if you skimp on it, you may run into problems. Tare. The mass of a vehicle without cargo (the weight licence fees are based on). GVM. The gross vehicle mass is the maximum that a vehicle may weigh – including its load, fuel, passengers and anything else that it transports. You’ll usually find the GVM indicated on a plate on the A-frame of your caravan or trailer. GCM. The gross combination mass is the sum of the weight of the vehicle and whatever it is towing – that is, the legal combined mass. Vehicle and caravan weight. Legally, the GVM of your trailer or caravan may…

9 min.
2 driver’s licence, please...

If your driver’s licence harkens back to a time when it still had pride of place in your ID book, you’re allowed to tow a caravan without any additional paperwork – your old Code 08 driver’s licence was converted to an EB driver’s licence. And if you obtained your licence after 1998 (when the newer card system was implemented) and you tow nothing bigger than a small luggage trailer on the open road, or use it to get rid of garden refuse, you can also relax. The Code B driver’s license is quite sufficient. However, if you currently only have a Code Bdriver’s licence and you want to tow a caravan or off-road trailer, actually, anything with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) exceeding 750 kg, you should make an appointment at the…

7 min.
3 get the correct driver’s licence!

FIRST, THE BAD NEWS You’re misinformed and bound for trouble. At some stage, a law enforcer is going to nail you, because you’re not allowed to tow your Splash with a C1 driver’s licence – finish and klaar. The towing regulations in the Road Traffic Act (no. 93 of 1996) states this clearly, even if certain people try to tell you differently. And it’s not just a fine that you need to worry about – your insurance won’t pay if you’re involved in an accident and don’t have the correct driver’s licence for towing. WHAT’S THE PROBLEM? Road transport consultant Alta Swanepoel of Alta Swanepoel & Associates in Pretoria says that the continuous debates, uncertainty and confusion is unnecessary. You only need to comply with the regulations in the act, which is not that difficult…

3 min.
4 let’s get technical

THE BRAKES A trailer weighing less than 750 kg when fully loaded is not required to have brakes, but if the GVM is between 750 kg and 3 500 kg, your trailer must have run-in brakes. This implies that the trailer you use to dispose of garden refuse on Saturdays doesn’t have to be equipped with brakes of its own, but your caravan or off-road trailer must have overrun brakes. When a towed vehicle weighs more than 3,5 tons, it must be equipped with service brakes. And if you absolutely must tow a ski boat and trailer behind the caravan (not recommended) and the combined weight of these two exceeds 3,5 tons, then both the trailer and the caravan must have service brakes. THE GUARANTEE Vehicle manufacturers often provide their own guidelines regarding the weight…

2 min.
5 are you sure you’re insured?

SEPARATE POLICY OR PART OF HOMEOWNER’S INSURANCE? Decide whether you’d prefer to have stand-alone insurance for your caravan, or if you want to include it with your homeowner’s insurance. Most homeowner’s insurance policies will cover your caravan against theft or damage, but you’ll have to specify and insure the contents separately. The same applies to a tent. If you insure your caravan or trailer seperately, the premium does not increase if you, for example, lodge a claim against your homeowner’s insurance. If your caravan’s insurance is part of your homeowner’s or car insurance, the cost will also be indirectly increased whenever the premium is adjusted upwards owing to inflation or a claim. Caravans fall into a low-risk category, because they’re used less often than cars. So the separate premiums are not high.…